Thursday, March 24, 2016

[AskAVet] Dog Problem....long

We have a border collie....or border collie cross, approximately 7 yrs old.
Wonderful dog. Great fetcher. Excellent with kids. Good around other
animals.

Worthless as a watch dog... He thinks he is a great livestock dog ... as
long as there is a gate between them.

I feed twice a day. He has always been a good eater. Always loved femur
bones.Especially American Basted bones.

Around November he began to act picky. Wouldnt eat his food. We switched
dog foods 4 times.

I started to add water. He would eat it if the kibble was softened.

Eventually I started to ad a spoonful of canned dog food or canned cat food
with the warm water.

I am not a person to promote finickiness in a dog. There is a problem here.

If the kibble has not been softened he will look at the food and walk away.

One night in February I woke up at 2 a.m. and he was panting. A fast pant.
From everything I have ever heard about dogs, if they are panting fast for
no reason, they are in pain.

This is winter time here in Northern Illinois. Our home is not hot. My dogs
over the years seldom panted in the house. We do not have air and there
were times I had 6 to 9 shelties. They seldom ever panted in the house. In
the winter our thermostat is 64 during the day and lower at night. Get the
picture?

He began to pace during the night and pant...he started this as soon as we
crawled into bed at night. Never did this during the day.

I took him to the vet on February 17 and suggested a tooth problem. Vet
said teeth looked fine and did a complete blood test. Nothing was abnormal.


I would get up during the night and give him a baby aspirin and he would
settle down.

Vet sent Rimadyl to try. I kinda thought it was helping but eventually the
panting and pacing became heavy again.

A week ago he began to pant and tremble. He had Rimadyl around 5 p.m.
Called the vet around 8 p.m.. Talked to the vet on call. He went on about
how anal gland discomfort can cause a dog to pant. I had given Nick baby
aspirin... checked his anal glands and took his temp which was 102.3
Once the baby aspirin took hold he settled down around 9.

I started to ad turmeric to his food twice a day. Thought it was helping
until mornings when my husband said Nick was up panting and pacing.

Next I bought Tagamet. Thought that helped too but it didnt. While giving
Tagamet I skipped the rimadyl.

Last night he got turmeric and tagamet. Woke up to him panting fast and
loud.Got up and gave him 2 baby aspirin. It calmed him down.

He has never been a dog to dig in flower gardens but he has started digging
low spots and laying him them.

One day he tore the plastic off the window. Never did that before or after.

During the night he crawls in the bath rub and scratches up the mat.

I have an appointment on wednesday for a dental. I can not get past the
thought that he is in pain from a tooth. He has very little tarter because
I scraped them. Did not see any red gums. What I have seen are tiny
reddish brown spots in the center of the incisors and the canines. Canines
look like the tips were chipped off.

Attached is a picture. Shown is one canine on the right.


Last ni






Joyce aka Mom aka Nana


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------
Posted by: Joyce O <theoldhen@gmail.com>
------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/askavet/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/askavet/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
askavet-digest@yahoogroups.com
askavet-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
askavet-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/