Sunday, June 21, 2015

Re: [AskAVet] Calf wound



I always used lime. Just throw it on 
And leave it alone. Throw it on there as often as you can. It will help keep flies off there also. 
Just my opinion. Always worked with my horses. 


Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "CJ Ewell fnp_cj@hotmail.com [askavet]"
Date:06/21/2015 9:10 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: askavet@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AskAVet] Calf wound

 

I wouldn't do either one. Depending on how deep the wound is, you may not want anything other than a clean dressing.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2015, at 7:46 PM, Joyce O theoldhen@gmail.com [askavet] <askavet@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


This list has been quiet for far too long. 

I have a question and I am hoping that some of you can give me some advice


I bought a 300 pound calf yesterday. 

Friday the owner found her in the timber with a gash on her shoulder. Gash was treated friday night by his vet. Antibiotics given. A bandage type thing was applied over the wound and it fell off by saturday afternoon when we arrived to pick up the calf.

Would appeared to be dry friday night and smooth. By saturday it was moist and the wound was enlarging. Tissue was forming.

Saturday afternoon I sprayed Schreiners Herbal Solution on it.

When I have had horse injuries I sprayed Schreiners and then tossed on the lime powder. 

A horse wound always looks worse before it looks better. The calf wound is looking worse.

 A cattle breeder told me she would spray the Schreines on and also smear Swat on the wound to keep flies off of it.

My question for you .. is...

would you toss on the lime only and leave it?

Or would you use something like Schreiners or Underwoods? plus the lime 



Joyce aka Mom aka Nana



__._,_.___

Posted by: mydustman <mydustman@yahoo.com>



__,_._,___