Friday, October 2, 2009

Re: [SPAM] [AskAVet] Swollen Jaw

I had my regular vet out first and she insisted that it was an infectd tooth allthough she had not even looked into his mouth and put him on antibiotics 2x a day. I was pretty sure that it was not a tooth and had another vet come out. She took an x-ray and did a full dental exam and tapped the swelling and drew fluid that was pink, she said blood and fluid mixed with no infection and this would be consistant with a broken jaw. The jaw bone was shattered.

The swelling has been very hard from day one. She put him on bute for 2 weeks but no anitibiotics and told me to apply heat, feed mash and no hay which I have been doing daily. He does seem to be feeling better, is not throwing any heat and he is no longer depressed and mopey but the swelling has not gone down at all. I just want to make sure that I am doing every thing that I can he has been a good freind for a very long time and it hurts my heart.

Megan

--- In askavet@yahoogroups.com, "Jenra Paints" <jenra@...> wrote:
>
> Megan,
>
> Did your vet take an Xray?
> What treatment did she have him on?
>
> I had a yearling who had been kicked in the jaw.
> We had him on daily antibiotics twice a day and he also had to have
> an antibiotic bead was placed under the skin of his gums, in order to avoid
> infection to the bone.
> with additional daily flushing's.
>
> It does take a long time for the swelling to go down "if" the bone
> was not infected. That part of the swelling would be hard as bone.
> It took about 2 months, with the above everyday care.
>
> Thankfully my colt is now ok.
>
>
> Did she lance to see if the fluid was clear or infection?
> I think it might be a good idea to check with another Vet?
> Jen
>
>
> -------Original Message-------
>
> From: MeganH
> Date: 10/1/2009 6:24:49 AM
> To: askavet@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [SPAM] [AskAVet] Swollen Jaw
>
> Hello, I have a 32 year old gelding that has a broken jaw from being
> kicked by another horse. He has swelling that is about the size of a
> softball which is full of fluid. My question is it has been 5 weeks and
> there has been no change in the swelling, my vet says that she is not
> surprised but I would think that the swelling would have started to subside
> by now.
>
> Megan
>
>
>
>
> ----------
>
>
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.420 / Virus Database: 270.14.1/2407 - Release Date: 10/01/09 06:34:00
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/askavet/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/askavet/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:askavet-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:askavet-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
askavet-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/